Welcome to Alpha United Methodist Church!
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
A place to worship, a place to grow and a place to serve!
All About Alpha
The first pastor of record was Rev. J.E. White, who served during the years of 1841 and 1842. The first presiding elder of whom we have record was Mr. J.E. Evans, a former Savannah pastor. He was elected by the Annual Conference which met in Savannah in 1843.
It was decided in 1878 to move the church to Bloomingdale for the convenience of its members. The move was completed in 1879 and the church was dedicated in July of that year. Mr. R.E. Meldrim, one of the Trustees, gave the church 3 acres of land in Bloomingdale to construct the one room structure of wood.
Through the years, changes were made to the original building. In 1915 a bell tower and bell were added. The bell was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Dan Waller in memory of their daughter Lula. In early years the bell was rung as a signal for help in the event of fire. In 1924, two wings were added, one on each side, to use for Sunday School classes. A new tin roof was added in 1938. In 1930, the congregation started a building fund for a new church building, as the current building no longer met the needs of the congregation.
Later, under the leadership of Rev. C.E. Carriker, plans were formulated for the construction of a new church to be located at the corner of Highway 80 and Church Street. Ground was broken on August 29, 1954. Those taking part were Mr. D.E. Waller, Rev. C.E. Carriker, Mr. George Zeigler, Mr. Guy Battle, Mr. A.M. Wallace and Mr. Billy Strozier. The pews, pulpit furniture, altar rail, and choir screen are stained Appalachian oak. The original floor was oak, later covered with carpet. In 1958, the church purchased its first organ, which was placed in honor of Mrs. Katie Smith, Choir Director and Organist. Many of the furnishings of the church have been placed in memory or honor of loved ones
On March 11, 1956, the new Alpha Methodist Church was formally opened for worship at 11:00 a.m. Rev. Anthony Hearn gave the scripture and declaration. Rev. C.E. Carriker delivered the sermon on "Measuring the Church." The anthem given by the choir was "Praise Ye the Lord." A basket lunch was served at 1:00 and at 2:00 p.m. the cornerstone was laid. In 1987, we completed the addition of a new Social Hall.